Monday, May 30, 2011

Pulled Pork Burrito


Happy Memorial Day! I hope you've all eaten well this wondrous of all barbequing holidays. I believe this recipe should satisfy the meat lover in all of us.



The first time I had a burrito from El Fuego, it was magical. Then I had another and another.  The radius of my hunt increased and I tried Chipotle and Qdoba,.  Then one day, I had an epiphany.  It's just ingredients. I can make this myself.  This recipe happens to be the epitome of all burritos. Pulled-pork in burrito form. You're going to want to sit down for this one.

Ingredients
2lbs pork shoulder
2 tblsp molasses
1 bottle beer or cider
1 tblsp chili powder
1 tblsp onion powder
1 tbslp garlic powder
1 tblsp paprika
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp basil

So you're going to kill me for this, but I forgot to take picture of the  mixing process, but I think this might do.


Hopefully you have a slow cooker or dutch oven. If you don't, I'd suggest you buy one If that isn't an option then I'd suggest you use a pot that's meant to be cooked on low heat for a long period of time or one that is oven safe and cook at a low temperature (250 or so) for a few hours.

So this amazing recipe has only a couple steps to it.

This part is optional. I've tried it both ways, and I don't think it's made a huge difference either way. Salt and pepper the pork shoulder and sear on high heat briefly (30 seconds or so) on each side. This seals the juices in, but in my opinion, the slow cooking is sufficient to keep the juices in.

Mix all the ingredients above and add to the slow cooker pot. Add in the pork shoulder. 
 
Cook on low for 4-5 hours. That's vague. It depends on your preference. Basically the pork will become tender enough to fall apart.
Literally fell apart in the pot
Ingredients for the burrito

Black beans (actually any beans will do)

Cooked rice

Cheese, sour cream, salsa

Cholula hot sauce. My favorite!!

 A lightly warmed tortilla

And of course the pulled pork.

Put it all together in a pile of deliciousness.

Enjoy! I promise you will!

2 comments:

  1. We absolutely love a regular pulled pork sandwich which is why I can't wait to make this yummy recipe for the hubby, he just may cry with happiness =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pork is in the slow cooker....wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete