Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Turkey Burger





Dearly beloved,


You're probably thinking, Turkey Burger? What are you thinking?? How can that possibly end well?  Turkey burgers are usually bland, funny textured and soggy, and waste of a good bird.Well, not this turkey burger! I assure you, that after this burger, you will be a convert!



*Tip - Many people assume that anything labeled ground turkey is automatically more healthy than ground beef. This is NOT true. If you look at the caloric count and fat content, you will see that you need to look for good quality, lean ground turkey in order to be healthy. 

So let's get to it:

Ingredients:
1 pound ground turkey
4-5 kalamata olives
2 tsps red pepper
1-2 cloves garlic
1 tsp ginger
1 small onion
1 spring onion
2 tbslps crumbled feta cheese
2 tsps dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tblsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp ground cumin
1 dash worcestershire sauce
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs

This is what raw ground turkey looks like. I know it doesn't look very yummy right now, but it gets better. Don't give up yet.
Combine diced onions, diced peppers, diced ginger, diced spring onion, and diced garlic. And then give it a semi-decent stir. Don't over-mix, or it might get mushy

Add in  feta cheese, oregano, salt, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, cumin, and worcestershire. And give it another stir.

Add egg and bread crumbs. And give it one final stir. If it is not firm enough, add a bit more bread crumbs until it is firm.

Now the fun part! Take a handful of meat mixture. Unfortunately, I did not remember to measure it, but I would guess it was about 1/3 cup if I were to put it in a cup. Shape it until it looks something like this. 

Turn your grill or skillet on and heat up, lightly oil, and place burgers on. 
Depending on how plump you make the burgers, and how crispy you like the outsides, it will take about 15-18 minutes to cook the burgers.The most important part is that the internal temperature needs to reach 165 degrees.
SUPER TIP! INVEST IMMEDIATELY IN A MEAT THERMOMETER!!!! IT WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE AND YOUR SANITY! I don't mean to yell. But seriously. Do it.

For this burger, I decided to use this lovely thing I found called Sandwich Thins. I don't like big fat buns.

Toast them lightly.

In the meantime,  I saute onions and mushrooms. I haven't shared this with you yet, but my favorite vegetable is spinach, so that goes in every meal I can figure out to put it in. So I add spinach and sliced tomato to finish off the toppings. 

Place the burger on the bread

Top with all the delicious toppings. Add ketchup and mustard as desired.

And take a big old bite!  Then tell me that's not just as delicious as any beef burger!

Ps. I cut up some potatoes and sweet potatoes, placed them on a baking sheet, sprinkled them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake for about 15 minutes at 400 degrees.

And Voila! 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This is definitely something we're going to try! It looks delicious and gives a twist on a typical hamburger...can't wait!

    ReplyDelete