Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Grownup's Sloppy Joe

You will want to buy this teddy bear after this meal!


It's been a little longer than I wanted between postings. I'll do my best to never do it again. And now for my next number I'd like to return to the classics. (side bar - Nil by mouth - Blindspott - great song)

But I really am returning to a classic from ye olde era of my childhood. I remember eagerly asking for lunch money on Wednesdays cause it was Sloppy Joe day! And you may be thinking it's not a very good grownup meal, but I promise you  I've upped the sophistication of the simple dish a little bit, so it will be a delight for both young and old.And now, let's return to that wondrous time.



Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
1 medium sized onion
1/4 green bell pepper
1 stalk spring onion
2 cloves garlic
2-3 pieces of jalapeno peppers 
1 tsp ginger root
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tblsp prepared mustard
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tbslps bbq sauce
3 tsps brown sugar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar

Raw meat!
 Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium heat.
I suppose you could substitute the beef with any sort of ground meat - e.g. turkey, chicken, lamb, etc.

Drain the beef and return to pan.

I didn't have any fresh jalepenos so I used a couple pieces the stuff from a jar. Worked just dandily.
Add onion, garlic, ginger, spring onion, jalapeno peppers and green pepper. Stir and let cook for a few minutes.
There should be enough oil remaining in the pan and beef that you don't need to add any oil. But if you feel it's sticking/burning, add a bit of olive to the mix.
 Add mustard, ketchup, bbq sauce and give it a decent stir.
Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, and balsamic vinegar and mix thoroughly.
Again - the amount of spices is at your discretion. If you don't want any heat, feel free to leave out the cayenne.But I think that's a decision you will regret. But it's totally your call. I won't be upset.
In the meantime lightly toast  the buns.

I used fat fluffy buns this time cause it just wouldn't be right to have sloppy joe's on anything else.
With a side salad and some fries, you're good to go.


How easy was that?

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I loooove Sloppy Joes! This looks so yummy- guess which meal I'll be making pronto? =)

    ReplyDelete